Saturday, November 16, 2013

Media Participation Project

          For my media participation project I chose to shadow a professional journalist. I decided to contact my local newspaper back home, the Calvert Recorder, because I knew that becoming familiar with the staff there could potentially help get me a job or internship over the summer.
         On November 14 I met with Sara Newman, a young journalist who works at the Recorder as a staff writer specializing in education. We started off the day at the Recorder's office where I was able to observe the entire newspaper staff at work. As the latest edition of the Recorder was scheduled to be distributed the next day, the staff was busy proofing the pages and making sure everything was ready to be sent out to the public. I spent the first couple of hours helping the staff look through all the pages and locating any mistakes that needed to be fixed.
         After proofing the pages Sara and I went to the Calvert County Board of Education meeting a few minutes down the road. Sara explained to me that she attends these monthly meetings to observe and report any changes for the education system in Calvert County. At the meeting I attended there were several presenters proposing possible options for a new type of science curriculum in the county's schools.
         My experience shadowing Sara gave me an inside look into what my local newspaper does on a daily basis. I enjoyed being able to see all of the journalists at work and I'm glad I chose to shadow a professional so I could get an idea of what a smaller newspaper staff really does.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment