Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Media Participation Project: Terps TV

For my media participation project I volunteered with TerpsTV. I chose TerpsTV because I wanted to experience a little bit of the broadcast side of journalism. I am unsure of what direction I want to go with my major, so since I already have a little experience with print, I figured I'd give broadcast a try.

Although I didn't get to do as much as I hoped, I still had a lot of fun with this. I helped with a women's field hockey game one Sunday afternoon by filming from the sidelines. I had to get to the game two hours early to help set up all the equipment and hook up all the chords for the cameras to hook up to the computer. After everything was set up, one of the girls who works for TerpsTV regularly gave me a quick tutuorial on how the camera works. After this, Ed, the man who oversees everything, gave me a headset and the game began.

The game was a five camera show, and I was placed by the sidelines. I had to film as if I was always live, but Ed was speaking to us in the headset letting us know when what cameras would be airing during specific times. For example, I was camera number five, so when he wanted my camera live he would say something along the lines of, "ready camera five, go." It was a little stressful because I always had to make sure I was paying attention and that my camera was looking at the action. A field hockey ball is very small, so it was difficult locating where the ball was at certain times.

After the game I helped put all the equipment away. I was told that I did a good job, and that made me feel really good. It was really cool knowing that I helped contribute to the airing of the field hockey game, and I had so much fun experiencing something I've never done before. TerpsTv is something I'm definitely interested in doing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment