Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Media Participation Project: UMTV


I volunteered at our campus’ television station UMTV during two of their Maryland Newsline live newscasts. The decision to choose this for my media presentation project was an easy one; I was planning on volunteering there anyway! In high school we had our own little news program that I was involved with so I was looking forward to being a part of something even better in college. UMTV was one of the deciding factors in choosing Maryland; their newsroom, compared to the other universities I was looking at, truly impressed me.
Before volunteering, everyone was required to go to a training session to get acquainted with the equipment and jobs that needed to be done. Since I am in freshmen connection, and the newscast runs during class time, it was very difficult to volunteer and I had to satisfy just the minimum requirement for the project.
The first time I went to UMTV I was an observer. I watched the camera operators and the floor director mostly, just trying to warm up to everything and understand how the show ran. All of the students there are incredible people and there was an overwhelming happy vibe in the studio at all times. They had a million things to worry about but kept making sure I understood everything that was going on and were very patient and kind to all of the volunteers. I was able to run camera three for the live show at my last visit to the studio. I was all hooked up to the director and had my run down in front of me and the show went smoothly. It is without a doubt a stressful area but everyone handles it very well, overcoming mistakes and technical difficulties with ease.
I’m in love with broadcast journalism and UMTV did noting but affirm my goal of becoming apart of that world. There, students are able to get hands-on experience in a live setting and are given a lot of responsibility. The enthusiasm at Maryland Newsline is inspiring to me; I was so pleasantly surprised by their kindness and passion. These are good people willing to be there for anyone that wants to help the show run just a little bit smoother. I recommend anyone interested in broadcasting to volunteer there; I know I’ll be a regular next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment