Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Media Participation Project

     For my media participation project, I chose to shadow a professional journalist. I was able to get in contact with Mel Kiper, Jr., and he agreed on an interview at his house. Before the actual 'sit down' part of the shadow day, he allowed me to watch him perform live television and radio segments (hits) and showed me what he does throughout the day, from preparation to doing the tasks at hand that he is asked to do.
     The experience of it all was mind blowing to me. This is a man that I grew up watching on TV, and still do, and there I was watching him perform his craft, live and in person. Being such a sports advocate also made this experience more worthwhile and entertaining. I envisioned myself in his shoes and doing what he does as I grow older.
     He showed me a lot of the work and preparation there is to the job, and although it seemed rigorous, it was a part of the job and well worth all of the effort. He shared tips with me as the interview went along on what and what not to do as a journalist, and even tidbits on what he believes being a journalist means and what the field consists of today. Overall, this was definitely one of the greatest highlights of recent memory, and something I look forward to doing again soon if given the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment